Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Safe Haven ?

Churches save illegal immigrants

What do you think?
Well, I think this is a bunch of BS. Don't get me wrong, I respect the right to worship, the right to freedom AND the separation of church and state. Yet here, people is not THE separation of church and state. What you are witnessing is the very direct violation of the said principle that America is founded upon.
I understand charity. I practice charity. But I believe that there is a line where charity should be ended, and this is it. The laws are laws. They are there for a reason, and even though, well, most of the time, I don't like those laws (partial-abortion ban is just plain wrong, by the way) but I never intentionally break them either. Harboring criminals, yes, they are criminals since they've broken the laws in the first place, make you out as criminals also.
There are numerous ways to solve any problem. And this is NOT one of them.
Maybe, maybe one day, a political genius will come along to solve these problems. But for now, religious institutions, please, don't become poster children for criminal activities. Think about what you're teaching the kids: be compassionate, but it's okay if you did something wrong, you can get away with it by go hide in the church.
Maybe next year, they'll be harboring bankrobbers, too. Or white-collar criminals, since they most likely didn't kill anyone.

No comments: